2012 at a Glance
OPSEU Pension TrustWith invested assets of $14.7 billion, the OPSEU Pension Trust (OPTrust) manages one of Canadaâ€™s largest pension funds and administers the OPSEU Pension Plan, a defined benefit plan with almost 84,000 members and retirees.
Our mandateOPTrust was launched in 1995 to provide service and security to the members and retirees of the OPSEU Pension Plan. Our mandate focuses on three key objectives:
- Generating the long-term rate of return on investments needed to support the pension promise
- Delivering the finest service and communications to our members and pensioners
- Ensuring that our membership has a real voice in the Plan through joint trusteeship
In 2012, OPTrust:
- Achieved an investment return of 10.1%, outperforming both the Planâ€™s 7.2% composite benchmark return and our 6.5% funding target for the year
- Implemented the last of three annual 1% increases in membersâ€™ and employersâ€™ contribution rates to help manage the funding shortfall from investment losses in 2008
- Remained fully funded with a total surplus of $34 million, based on the Planâ€™s $852 million in rate stabilization reserves, which are sufficient to cover the current deficit of $818 million
- Continued to receive high marks from our members and retirees for the quality of service and communications we provide
Net Assets Available for Benefits
At December 31 ($ billions)
The Planâ€™s net assets rose to $14.7 billion in 2012, up by $1 billion from the year before. The increase resulted from net investment income of $1.2 billion, which was partly offset by benefit payments and expenses that exceeded contributions by $235 million.