OPTrust Career Opportunities
Paying pensions today, preserving pensions for tomorrow.
With net assets of almost $20 billion, OPTrust invests and manages one of Canada's largest pension funds and administers the OPSEU Pension Plan, a defined benefit plan with almost 95,000 members and retirees.
Analyst, Real Estate Investments
Real Estate Investments
Working under the direction of an Associate Portfolio Manager, Real Estate Investments, this position will be part of the Real Estate Group responsible for OPTrust’s real estate portfolio.
This position will assist with key functions in the maintenance of information on the real estate portfolio and its investment performance; monitor and report real estate investment opportunities; produce and present research reports; investment analysis and valuations to be utilized by the real estate team in the decision-making process.
- Conduct detailed analysis for new investment opportunities under consideration by the Real Estate Group, including preparing proformas, reviewing investment and leasing market reports, and assisting in the preparation of Investment Committee materials.
- Report on the ongoing performance of the real estate investment portfolio and monitor exposures to various sectors and geographies.
- Perform valuations of owned assets using Argus valuation software and coordinate the external appraisal process with the Finance Group.
- Support the Real Estate Group in the management of plan assets and in conducting risk analysis.
- Work closely with an Associate Portfolio Manager to enhance and implement processes to meet the evolving reporting needs of the Real Estate Group.
- Perform research on emerging trends and technologies in the real estate industry, assessing their impact on the real estate portfolio and reporting back to the team as required.
- Liaise with Finance and Investment Reporting staff on matters related to financial accounting, valuations, reporting and real estate investment performance.
- Assist in the preparation of materials and presentations for Executive Committee or Board meetings.
- Evaluate the analysis of outside investment managers and follow-up directly to verify information and seek clarification.
- Develop relationships with internal and external contacts so that routine matters can be addressed without the intervention of Senior Management.
- Investigate discrepancies, unusual results or missing information with internal and external contacts.
- Attend real estate events and conferences and report back to the team as required.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of legislation and regulations pertaining to the real estate asset class and real estate investments.
- Prepare ad-hoc reports, analysis and presentations and undertake additional projects as required.
- Post-secondary education in a relevant discipline such as Business Administration, Finance, Urban Planning, Architecture, etc.
- Have, or working toward, an accounting or financial designation, or be enrolled in the CFA program.
- 1 to 3 years of real estate experience preferred, including experience in undertaking property valuations. Experience with office, retail, industrial, and multi-residential properties is an asset, preferably in an institutional or pension fund environment.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and organizational skills, together with excellent oral and written communication for effective report creation and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team player.
- Strong initiative and ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated thoroughness and attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tight deadlines.
- Advanced knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications.
OPTrust is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. Please submit your application to Human Resources at email@example.com.
OPTrust is compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please advise us should you require accommodation with the recruitment process.
We thank all interested applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.