OPTrust Career Opportunities
Paying pensions today, preserving pensions for tomorrow.
With net assets of almost $20 billion, OPTrust invests and manages one of Canada's largest pension funds and administers the OPSEU Pension Plan, a defined benefit plan with almost 95,000 members and retirees.
Analyst, Responsible Investing
12 - month contract
Working under the direction of the Director, Responsible Investing, this position will be part of the Office of the CIO. The Analyst’s primary responsibilities are to support all aspects of OPTrust’s responsible investing (RI) program. This involves supporting the Senior Analyst, RI in collaborating with investment and risk teams to support the integration of environmental, social and corporate governance factors (ESG) into our investment decision-making, risk management and active ownership practices.
The Analyst also supports the partnerships with external investment managers, advisors, service providers and other business partners to assist in the implementation of OPTrust’s RI strategy. The Analyst will also focus on key ESG themes such as climate change and the associated risks and opportunities to institutional investors.
- Reviews RI industry information, ESG risks and related financial and pension industry trends, issues and regulatory developments and prepares briefing materials for senior management.
- Conducts research and analysis, prepares summaries, reports, presentations and recommendations on various ESG themes including company-specific issues and broader portfolio-level ESG risks, such as climate change
- Maintains up to date knowledge of best practices in responsible investing and corporate governance.
- Composes RI-related reports, memos, and motions for senior management and the Board of Trustees.
- Supports the fund’s proxy voting activities and liaises with the proxy voting advisor, custodian, and OPTrust staff on related items; makes vote recommendations on contentious or emerging items.
- Key contributor of the annual review process of OPTrust’s RI policies.
- Supports the implementation of OPTrust’s corporate engagement and advocacy activities; works with Communications and Public Affairs on advocacy on relevant areas.
- Supports engagement with the relevant industry associations to which OPTrust is a member.
- Liaises with OPTrust’s Communications team and assisting with the preparation of material for annual reports, articles, website, speaking engagements, and communication with members and other stakeholders.
- Assists in developing business protocols for ESG integration in due diligence and portfolio monitoring in partnership with investment and risk teams.
- Assists with assessing and evaluating ESG data and service/product options.
- University degree in business/commerce, finance, or other relevant disciplines with a basic knowledge of the investment, consulting and/or pension industry.
- 2 -5 years’ experience required.
- Experience in financial services, environmental sciences, engineering or pension industry is an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of corporate governance, social, and environmental issues, preference for climate change expertise.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills and the ability to communicate with a broad stakeholder group.
- Strong service orientation with a demonstrated ability to forge strong relationships with internal and external partners.
- A postgraduate degree and/or Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation would be an asset.
OPTrust is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. Please submit your application to Human Resources at email@example.com by April 16, 2019.
OPTrust is compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please advise us should you require accommodation with the recruitment process.
We thank all interested applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.