OPTrust Career Opportunities
Paying pensions today, preserving pensions for tomorrow.
With net assets of over $20 billion, OPTrust invests and manages one of Canada's largest pension funds and administers the OPSEU Pension Plan, a defined benefit plan with over 92,000 members and retirees.
Associate Portfolio Manager / Portfolio Manager, Strategic Relationships and Innovation
External Public Investments - Capital Markets Group
Working in the Capital Markets Group the individual will play a critical role in designing, building and managing the externally-managed public markets investments program. The portfolio will be a concentrated set of strategic relationships designed to facilitate knowledge transfer and strategic benefits for the Total Fund in addition to their underlying investment mandates. The individual is required to work collaborative with multiple groups within the Investments Division as well as functional partners across the broader OPTrust organization.
- Thorough understanding of OPTrust’s Member Driven Investing (MDI) strategy, overarching philosophy and portfolio construction / risk management framework; ability to articulate our Total Fund objectives and contextualize individual strategies to our internal and external partners;
- Support and contribute to Total Fund projects and initiatives, the Investment Planning process and collaborate with other investment groups and functions to enhance our investment framework over time;
- Play a significant role in the development and ongoing refinement of the strategic relationships within the portfolio;
- Identify, evaluate and derive strategic value from partners; recognize internal teams that can benefit from interactions with our partners and facilitate the relationship building process; generate and implement ideas on how we can add strategic value to our partners;
- Lead investment due diligence processes and demonstrate strong transaction execution capabilities across public market strategies; including but not limited to equities, fixed income, multi-asset, smart beta, hedge funds and credit strategies
- Lead deal negotiations: ability to identify key points of contention during negotiations and demonstrate ability to evaluate trade-off/give take scenarios
- Actively manage portfolio exposures throughout its investment lifecycle from origination all the way to exit
- Manage, mentor and develop junior resources to build the next generation of investment talent for the organization
- Increased operating efficiencies and look for ways to engineer process improvements
- Design efficient project plans and timelines and coordinate internal efforts between investments and functional partners in legal / compliance, finance, investment risk and others
- Establish, build and nurture a network of external relationships at the appropriate level to enhance OPTrust’s profile
- Previous work experience (approx. 2-7 years) with external public markets manager selection: experience in investment due diligence (preference for background in hedge funds and credit strategies)
- A demonstrated ability to work effectively with internal and external partners and building strong relationships
- A skilled negotiator with the ability to quickly identify stakeholder interests and structure creative solutions to reconcile competing objectives
- Inquisitive in nature and constantly evaluating new ideas to help drive portfolio innovation over time
- Ability to communicate complex information in a simple, relevant, unbiased and direct manner
- A degree (BA/MA/MBA) is required
- CFA is an asset
OPTrust is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. Please submit your application to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 19, 2019.
OPTrust is compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please advise us should you require accommodation with the recruitment process.
We thank all interested applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.