OPTrust Career Opportunities
Paying pensions today, preserving pensions for tomorrow.
With net assets of almost $20 billion, OPTrust invests and manages one of Canada's largest pension funds and administers the OPSEU Pension Plan, a defined benefit plan with almost 95,000 members and retirees.
Director, Responsible Investing
The Director, Responsible Investing and her/his team will be part of the Office of the CIO and provide strong cross-functional, subject matter expertise to the investment departments and teams within OPTrust. The Director will lead all aspects of OPTrust’s responsible investing (RI) program. This involves being a key point of contact for senior management, investment, and risk teams on the integration of environmental, social and corporate governance factors (ESG), with a particular focus on climate change, into our investment decision-making, risk management and active ownership practices. The Director is also a key ambassador of the organization outside of the organization and plays leadership roles at key organizations in the RI industry.
The Director will lead the team to work closely with the Private Markets, Real Estate, and Capital Markets groups to implement the ESG integration strategy. The role also includes leading advocacy and engagement efforts in line with our active ownership approach to responsible investing.
In addition, this position is the Vice Chair of the CIO-led Responsible Investing Committee (“RIC”), which sets direction for and oversees all Responsible Investing strategies and activities of the firm. This includes regularly reviewing the Statement of Responsible Investing Principles (SRIP) and the Proxy Voting Guidelines to ensure OPTrust’s activities meet both our investment objectives and best practice standards as well as implementation of the Climate Change Action Plan (CCAP).
- Leading the responsible investing program at OPTrust
- Develop the agenda, in partnership with the CIO, for the RI Committee meetings
- Work in partnership with investment teams on ESG integration activities
- Prepare communications for staff, Trustees, and members on our RI activities.
- Stay abreast of methodologies and tools for ESG and climate change risk assessments.
- Reviews RI and pension industry trends, issues and regulatory developments and identifies key information to inform the RI strategy.
- Lead’s the fund’s proxy voting activities and liaises with the proxy voting advisor(s), custodian, and OPTrust staff on related items.
- Coordinates the implementation of OPTrust’s corporate engagement and advocacy activities; works with Communications and Public Affairs on advocacy in relevant areas.
- Collaborate with peers and partner organizations to exchange best practice information and work together on issues where we are aligned.
- University degree is required; advanced degree in investment, finance, or other relevant discipline is preferred.
- 6-10 years’ experience in financial services is required. Prior investment expertise, particularly in private markets, is an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of ESG issues across asset classes, and particularly climate change, is required.
- Strong communication skills including public speaking with different stakeholder groups.
- Strong service orientation with a demonstrated ability to forge strong relationships with internal and external partners
OPTrust is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. Please submit your application to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 23rd, 2019.
OPTrust is compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please advise us should you require accommodation with the recruitment process.
We thank all interested applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.