OPTrust Career Opportunities
Paying pensions today, preserving pensions for tomorrow.
With net assets of almost $20 billion, OPTrust invests and manages one of Canada's largest pension funds and administers the OPSEU Pension Plan, a defined benefit plan with almost 95,000 members and retirees.
OPTrust is looking for up to two exceptional corporate lawyers to join our Toronto based Legal Services team!
In this position you will be working closely with the investment teams, supporting and advising them on a wide range of domestic and international transactional and corporate matters. A motivated self-starter with a partnering focused mindset, you will find yourself exposed to a broad range of business activities including private equity, infrastructure, hedge fund, public, fixed income, and real estate investments as well as advising on commercial agreements, governance, compliance and policy.
In this highly collaborative role, you will be directly advising the business teams in Toronto, London, U.K and Sydney, Australia, providing pro-active and solutions based legal and risk management advice in support of our global investment mandate
- Support and advise lines of business with sound counsel on transactional matters while managing external counsel
- Participate as an active partner with the business, using the opportunity to guide and support to drive excellent decision making and mitigate risk
- Work directly with internal Tax, Compliance, Investment Finance, Communications, Government Relations and others to provide pro-active and creative legal and business solutions
- Advise on committee matters and support the development of internal investment, trading, finance and risk management policies
- Provide corporate governance and regulatory compliance advice
- Plan, supervise and execute on a variety of complex legal initiatives and innovative projects
- 7+ years of experience in private equity, mergers & acquisitions, securities and/or corporate finance at a toptier law firm or in-house legal department
- Experience with structured products or commercial real estate is highly desirable
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, a client-oriented approach and a demonstrated ability to build trust with the investment division
- Strong legal and business judgment
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to project manage critical work to completion
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and look for opportunities to add value
OPTrust is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties.
Please submit your application to Human Resources at email@example.com noting the position, “Senior Investment Counsel” in the subject line.
OPTrust is compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please advise us should you require accommodation with the recruitment process.
We thank all interested applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.