OPTrust Career Opportunities
Paying pensions today, preserving pensions for tomorrow.
With net assets of almost $20 billion, OPTrust invests and manages one of Canada's largest pension funds and administers the OPSEU Pension Plan, a defined benefit plan with almost 95,000 members and retirees.
Manager Investment Finance, Alternatives Investments
Investment Finance, Alternatives Investments
This position leads and manages the effective and efficient delivery of accounting, valuations and financial reporting of the alternative investment portfolios of OPTrust. The Manager oversees the issues pertaining to the portfolio, ensuring information is accurately reported and in a timely manner. The manager oversees staff reporting directly or indirectly. In addition, the position will support projects within the Alternative Investments Group.
- Ensure investment assets are completely and accurately recorded and reported in accordance with the adopted accounting basis or IFRS/GAAP, utilizing efficient and effective processes. Ensure appropriate governance practices by developing and maintaining operational guidelines and procedures.
- Manage the valuation/appraisal process, ensuring external and internal appraisals are planned and executed in an efficient and timely manner, while ensuring adherence to the OPTrust’s Valuation Policy.
- Keep abreast of emerging accounting issues and develop accounting guidelines, practices and reporting disclosures for new standards as they become applicable. Responsible for developing and maintaining a back-office system that establishes an efficient infrastructure.
- Participate in the design, implementation and user acceptance of systems for investment-based information used for internal and external reporting.
- Manage the annual external audit process as it relates to the alternative investment portfolio, ensuring efficiency throughout the process. Participate in and support the completion of OPTrust’s Annual Report
- Develop and maintain strong working partnerships with the various departments within the Investment Division, and act as the key liaison between the Investment and Finance Divisions for all alternative investments related matters. Onboard new managers and investments and develop good working relationships with external managers.
- Provide support to the deal teams in conducting due diligence on new investment, review draft agreements and provide comments to the legal counsel to ensure reporting requirements of OPTrust are covered.
- Responsible for maintaining the budget for the alternatives investment group and assist with the annual OPTrust budgeting process with Corporate Finance. Review monthly variance analysis and provide preliminary narrative to support variances.
- Work closely with the Tax group to support the regulatory and tax compliance for the investment legal entities, including the maintenance of administrative practices for commodity taxes (HST, GST, QST), and regulatory filings (e.g. Investment Information Summary, Statistics Canada).
- Provide leadership for the AIG team by managing performance, coaching and developing staff and identifying training opportunities. Planning work assignments for the team and determining effective resourcing of staff including overtime assignments. Participating in the recruitment process, including development of job descriptions and getting involved in the evaluation and suitability of candidates.
- University degree in finance or related field (BBA, BSc, B.Com, MBA) and an accounting designation; CPA.
- Attainment or enrolment in the Accredited Appraiser Canadian Institute (AACI) program and/or the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) program and/or the Chartered Business Valuator (CBV) program.
- A minimum of 6-8 years finance experience specializing in financial accounting, reporting and valuation of Real Estate and/or Private Equity investments. Experience with financial computer systems, project planning and implementation of systems and related enhancements to enhance efficiencies and processes.
- Demonstrated ability to develop recommendations and implement policies and controls for financial processes.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and collegial attitude at all levels including both internal and external contacts and an ability to work well in a team environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to identify anomalies and ascertain root causes. Ability to work well under multiple deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to discuss and resolve issues with external contacts as well as communicate effectively with team members and other OPTrust staff.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality when dealing with external and internal parties.
OPTrust is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. Please submit your application to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 16, 2019.
OPTrust is compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please advise us should you require accommodation with the recruitment process.
We thank all interested applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.