OPTrust Career Opportunities
Paying pensions today, preserving pensions for tomorrow.
With net assets of over $20 billion, OPTrust invests and manages one of Canada's largest pension funds and administers the OPSEU Pension Plan, a defined benefit plan with over 92,000 members and retirees.
Senior Investment Data Specialist
Investment Data Group
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the development and administration of processes that ensure OPTrust’s investment data is of high quality and for working with investment units to provide them with data. The incumbent works with Front Office, Risk, Performance, Compliance and other teams across the organization to develop and understanding of their processes. The position develops data processes through working with databases, data automation and data delivery and is expected to maintain in-depth knowledge of investment processes and technology and is expected to seek solutions to complex problems independently before escalating issues.
- Work with management and internal stakeholders to identify shortcomings in existing ways OPTrust sources, loads, stores and delivers information. These shortcomings can be related to cost, efficiency or inability to fulfill the needs of internal clients.
- Design and present solutions to data shortcomings, including updating or creating database data models, ETL processes and extractors.
- Assist management in evaluating new datasets and aligning them to OPTrust’s systems and processes.
- Independently work with OPTrust’s data systems to implement solutions in a timely manner.
- Perform testing of solutions and existing systems as directed.
- Document existing and new data models and processes and ensures documents are kept up to date.
- Work collaboratively with Investment teams and other business partners to understand their process/data gaps, and develops requirements, creates specifications and delivers solutions.
- Maintain an understanding of investment bank functions including front office, middle office, risk, performance and compliance and the interactions between them.
- Develop technical expertise of the systems (internal and external) that support investment functions.
- Assist business partners in finding solutions to sourcing, storing and processing data – ensures that solutions are aligned with existing Investment Data Group systems and processes.
- Build relationships with business partners, vendors and acts as a resource on data issues.
- Develop expertise in OPTrust’s data model, including: security masters, composites, transactions, instrument life cycles, reference data, counterparty data and fund hierarchies.
- Work independently to resolve database issues or develop new features in the database.
- Act as a point of contact for engagements with external vendors on large projects.
- Create specs and writes SQL queries, etc., that support data management processes.
- Act as the first line of defense in resolving operational issues escalated by more junior staff.
- Post-Secondary Education in a quantitative, engineering or computer science field OR a demonstrated capability in database administration and programming.
- At least 5 years’ work experience in Financial Services, Risk or Investment Operations.
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills; ability to explain complex concepts to non-technical people.
- Direct experience supporting Investment/Reporting teams is preferred.
- Experience working with Eagle PACE, developing APIs and working with BI tools is a plus.
- Solid understanding of financial markets including trading of derivatives and corporate actions.
- Database administration skills and knowledge of SQL.
- An understanding of standard investment data models including security masters, reference and market data.
- A client-oriented mindset as this role requires supporting and working with other teams across the organization.
- Ability to work on multiple projects with tight deadlines.
- Sound judgment and discretion for dealing with confidential and sensitive matters
OPTrust is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. Please submit your application to Human Resources at email@example.com by March 20, 2019.
OPTrust is compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please advise us should you require accommodation with the recruitment process.
We thank all interested applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.