Procedures - Disability
Employers must complete the following procedures to terminate a member from the OPSEU Pension Plan, and apply for a disability benefit.
1. The employer is required to complete:
- Employer's Statement on Disability form (OPTrust 3002)
- The employer may complete:
Termination of Membership – Application For Entitlement form (OPTrust1012)
Important! Disability applications are normally made at the time of termination; however, termination of plan membership is not required before a disability application is made.
2. The member is required to provide:
- Member's Statement on Disability form (OPTrust 3001) - completed by the member
- Medical Examination Report form (OPTrust 3003) - completed by the attending physician or specialist
3. Once approval has been granted, additional documentation required to process entitlement:
- Termination of Membership – Application For Entitlement form (OPTrust1012) if not previously submitted.
- Disability Refund
- Disability Pension
Shortened Life Expectancy - Application Process
To receive this benefit, the member must apply to OPTrust using the Application for Lump Sum Payout due to Shortened Life Expectancy (OPTrust 3006) form. This form includes a medical certification (to be completed by a physician licensed to practice medicine in Canada). If the member has a spouse at the time of application, the spouse must consent to the payout and acknowledge that they waive any survivor benefits provided under the terms of the Plan.
Employers must complete the following procedures to terminate the membership of a member from the OPSEU Pension Plan and apply for a Shortened Life Expectancy (SLE) payment.
1. OPTrust will generally communicate directly with members to attain the required documentation listed below:
- Application for Lump Sum Payout due to Shortened Life Expectancy form (OPTrust 3006) completed by the member, the member’s spouse (if applicable) and a licensed physician