Membership in the OPSEU Pension Plan
Mandatory membership in the OPSEU Pension Plan applies to employees who are less than 65 years old and:
- work for an Ontario government ministry or scheduled agency as permanent, regular or probationary staff, and are represented by OPSEU, or
- are permanently employed by the OPSEU Pension Trust, or
- if are employed by an employer who has successfully applied for and been accepted for participation in the Plan after December 2012 (post-2012 receiving employer or authorized employer) and have been designated for mandatory membership in the participation agreement. Please note that for employees who are employed by one of these employers, not all provisions and benefits necessarily apply (e.g. buyback provisions and post-retirement insured benefits).
In certain situations where there is a divestment or change in employer, those who are members of the OPSEU Pension Plan at the time of the change are "grandfathered." They are allowed to remain as active members of the OPSEU Pension Plan until termination or retirement. See a current list of organizations whose employees are grandfathered.
Contributions are mandatory from the day membership starts.
Note: An employee may waive their right to participate in the OPSEU Pension plan on the grounds of religious beliefs. The employee must complete a Membership Waiver - Religious Exemption from Pension Participation form (OPTrust 1074) and submit it to OPTrust.
Employees who do not meet the mandatory membership requirements may be eligible to join the OPSEU Pension Plan at any time starting from the first day of employment if they are an OPSEU-represented employee and are employed on a non-permanent basis:
- by the Crown under the Public Service Act
- by an agency, board, commission, foundation or organization that is a participating employer in the Public Service Pension Plan
- by an agency that is participating in the OPSEU Pension Plan
- if they are employed by an employer who has successfully applied for and been accepted for participation in the Plan after December 2012 (post-2012 receiving employer or authorized employer) and have been designated for optional membership in the participation agreement.
Important! Employees who elect to join the plan voluntarily cannot cancel their membership at a later date unless they terminate their employment and membership or retire.
Once OPTrust receives the signed Membership Enrolment form (OPTrust 1005) the member is assumed to be enrolled in the pension plan. The plan membership date (PMD) will be the date pension contributions start and deductions are remitted to OPTrust.
1 OPSEU Pension Plan Text, Article 3.1.