Information for Members and Retirees
OPTrust keeps members and retirees informed about the OPSEU Pension Plan, their own pension and any pension options that may be available through a wide variety of channels.
OPTrust publishes regular newsletters for our members and pensioners, which are available both in print and on the OPTrust website.
- OPTions is our newsletter for active and divested members.
- The Pension Connection is our newsletter for retirees.
Booklets and Other Publications
OPTrust has developed a series of booklets and other publications providing detailed information for members and pensioners on various aspects of the Plan. Most of these publications are available in print or on the OPTrust website.
- It’s Your Pension – A guide to the OPSEU Pension Plan
- Fact Sheets – In-depth descriptions of specific topics or aspects of the Plan
- Proxy Voting Guidelines – OPTrust voting guidelines on issues such as composition of boards of directors, executive compensation, takeover protection, reincorporation and shareholder rights
- Funded Status Report/Funded Status Report Highlights – OPTrust publishes a full funded status report, including audited financial statements, as well as a funded status report highlights, which will be mailed to every plan member and pensioner.
OPTrust provides members and pensioners with a number of annual statements to keep them updated on the status of their pension. These include:
- Annual Pension Statement - OPTrust mails a personalized Annual Pension Statement to every active and divested member. The statement shows the member’s credit and contributions at year-end, their earned pension and projected pension at retirement, and identifies any beneficiaries they have named. Each year’s Annual Pension Statement is mailed the following spring. Members also have the option of registering to receive their statement electronically, through the secure, password-protected Online Services section of the OPTrust website.
- Buyback Statement – Each year, OPTrust posts online a statement for any member that has an ongoing buyback. This statement summarizes the buyback contributions received and credit accrued during the previous calendar year.
- Pensioner Information Change Statement – This personalized statement for pensioners is issued every January, and whenever there is a change in the pensioner's monthly payment (e.g. inflation adjustment, change in insured benefits premiums, etc.). The statement shows the pensioner’s monthly gross pension, income tax and other deductions, and net pension payment. The statement also lists the name of the pensioner’s spouse and any other identified beneficiaries, and any power of attorney that has been appointed.
Direct Contact Sessions
OPTrust’s pension information sessions, Direct Contact, are held in communities across Ontario. The sessions are designed to let members learn more about their pension plan in person, directly from an OPTrust representative. Non-members who are eligible to join the Plan (e.g., “unclassified” or contract employees represented by OPSEU) are also welcome to attend and learn more about the benefits of enrolling in the Plan. Members can view an up-to-date schedule of Direct Contact pension information sessions and register for the session of their choice online, through the OPTrust website.
Employers can also arrange for “lunch & learn” sessions to be delivered at the worksite. For more information, contact OPTrust.
Many of the information resources listed above are available on the OPTrust website. Additional resources include:
- Pension Estimator – A simple, flexible, interactive estimator that uses a member's pension data and allows them to project their future pension at different retirement dates.
- Retirement Income Calculator – Results from the pension estimator are transferred to the Retirement Income Calculator where a member can add income from other sources - including RRSPs, CPP and OAS - and project their total retirement income under a range of different scenarios. Retirees can access the Retirement Income Calculator directly from the Pension Planning Tools and the Pensioners' sections of the OPTrust website.
- Online Services – Members and retirees can register with this secure, password-protected section of the OPTrust website. Once they are registered, they can complete certain pension transactions online, communicate with OPTrust through secure, two-way messaging and sign up to receive newsletters and other communications electronically. Live data is used for pension estimates and managing beneficiaries.