Using the Manual
The Employer Manual has been developed as a web-based resource to provide employers with easy access to practical information, directly from their desktops.
For ease of use, the manual’s navigation follows standard Internet conventions. Key features include:
- a table of contents/home page listing the manual’s sections by pension transaction type
- a navigation bar on the left side of your browser window. From any page within the manual you can:
- return to the table of contents to select another section
- go to “Overview,” “Procedures” or “Forms and Tools” within the section you select
- choose individual topics from pop-up menus under “overview” – and “procedures” and “forms and tools” where applicable – by moving your cursor over the heading in the left-hand navigation bar.
- “next page” and “previous page” links at the bottom of each page, to let you click through one or more sections page by page.
- links to related material within the manual, elsewhere on the OPTrust website or from other sources, as required.
The manual is integrated into the main navigation system for the OPTrust website to allow you to access other resources on the site.
The Employer Manual includes a separate search engine that allows you to search within the manual alone. Simply enter the word or phrase you want to search for in the window marked “Search Employer Manual” and click “Go.”
For additional information on any topic, you can also use the site’s main search engine, located in the upper right corner of each page.
The manual also has, accessible from link located near the top of your screen. The glossary provides brief definitions of key pension terms and concepts, along with links to selected sections of the manual.
Forms and Tools
Each section of the manual includes a directory of the forms, checklists and other tools that you will need to complete a particular transaction. In most cases, these resources are available in an electronic format, linked directly from the Forms and Tools page.
Downloadable forms – links have been provided to downloadable versions of OPTrust forms, checklists and other tools in Acrobat PDF format. You will need Adobe’s Acrobat Reader to use these forms. If the Acrobat Reader is not installed on your system, see your system administrator or download it free from the Adobe website.
Many of these forms can be filled in online, then printed out for signature and submission to OPTrust.
The manual also uses a set of icons to identify Tips, Reminders, Action Items and other important information. Standard icons include:
- Action Item
- More Information