With net assets of almost $22 billion, OPTrust invests and manages one of Canada’s largest pension funds. OPTrust is a global investor with a team of experienced investment professionals located in Toronto, London and Sydney.
OPTrust’s investment mandate focuses on achieving the organization’s mission to pay pensions today and preserve pensions for tomorrow. We are a pension management organization. Our members depend on us to provide secure, predictable income in retirement. Our investment strategy is aligned with our members’ interests and seeks to deliver the returns we need to keep the Plan fully funded at the lowest level of risk.
In 2019, our actions were designed to better position the portfolio through market cycles and increase the capabilities of our investment program. We have made our portfolio more diversified, internalized more of our assets, and rebalanced portions of our illiquid asset portfolios.
In 2019, OPTrust achieved a 11.2% net investment return and the Plan retained its fully funded status and lowered the nominal discount rate from 5.15% in 2018 to 5.10% in 2019.
- More information on OPTrust's investment beliefs.
- More information on OPTrust’s strategy and results is available in our 2019 Funded Status Report.
- More information about OPTrust’s responsible investing program and approach can be found in our 2019 Responsible Investing Report.
- More information on OPTrust's investment policies is also available in our Statement of Investment Policies and Procedures.
- OPTrust Trade Matching Statement